23 September 2009

An hegg

"I expect they'll start laying when I'm away," I gaily predicted, not believing any such thing.
When I got back home last night from a week in the UK, I took my mother-in-law out to see the chickens, as she hadn't met them before. I demonstrated the little flap in the coop which gives access to the nest boxes, explaining that in theory we'd be able to gather eggs without disturbing the hens. And blow me down, there was a single, perfect egg sitting in one of the boxes, waiting for me to find it.



I half-suspected that Mike had put a shop-bought egg in there to trick me, but it is significantly smaller than the eggs we get from the supermarket and is a completely different colour. I was so proud and pleased!

6 comments:

Sunita Mohan said...

Congratulations! The first egg from one's own chickens is definitely something to crow about.

Bangchik and Kakdah said...

Great! to actually pick the first egg. I can imagine, the egg yolk will be of different color tone than those bought from the supermarket... Huh, lovely. ~bangchik

Mary Delle LeBeau said...

That's great! And from your own hens. It's the color eggs should be.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, and what a perfect specimen!

June said...

Congratulations! It's a beauty. Isn't it funny how the first egg from our own hens feels like a revelation? We suddenly recognize what a thing of perfection is an egg.

a tasteful garden said...

Hi there. I just discovered your blog on Blotanical. I'm a total newbie there, but I'm looking forward to reading your blog. We've been wanting to get chickens for a while now, so it is fun to read your post.